FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
As you consider your financial planning options, you are bound to have questions. Here is a sampling of the frequently asked questions we receive at Sterling Retirement Resources.
We’re your partner. Count on us to be with you every step of the way and to create clarity on where you are and where you’re headed. We’re readily available to respond to your questions and concerns – in terms you’ll understand.
To ensure that we are able to provide the highest level of advice, counsel, and service to our clients, our compensation is fee-based and is not based on commissions or transaction fees. This allows us to always put your interests first. The fees can be paid in two ways:
- Project-based consultation fees for the advice we provide.
- Advisory fees represented as a percentage of the assets under care (also known as assets under management).
During the discovery phase, we will work with you to determine which works best for you and your goals. All of the fees we receive are fully transparent and reported to you on an ongoing basis.
A lot can happen in a lifetime. It’s important to have a partner to assist with transitions and keep up on the ever-changing markets. You have enough to worry about. Let our financial planners help you stay on track.
A fiduciary is a person or organization with ethical and legal responsibilities to act in the best interests of another.
In having a fiduciary responsibility to our clients, we follow the Rs:
- Requirements: We act and behave in a way that puts your interests first and before ours, period. We must disclose and avoid conflicts of interest. We are required to pursue a “best execution” standard – achieving the best combination of low cost (institutional share class pricing) and efficient execution in trading securities.
- Responsibility: We’re tasked with having expert knowledge of the elements of portfolio construction, and how specific assets align with a client’s overall goals and financial plan. We’re responsible for the process we implement and oversee, which in turn has a decided impact on a given portfolio’s results.
- Results: We can’t promise better investment results. However, we can argue that the discipline, objective analysis and lack of self-interest required as a fiduciary should lead to superior investment portfolio performance.
As a fiduciary, we place our clients at the very center of our practice. We do this because it’s a good fit with our worldview, both in terms of investment management and ethical responsibility. Our success is based wholly on our client’s success.
During your discovery phase, we will review your assets and income. From there, we will identify whether or not it will be mutually beneficial for you to engage in our services. Click here to schedule a consultation with a financial planner.
By honoring us with overseeing your personal financial plan, you will have access to a team with the following credentials:
- Certified Financial Planner® (CFP®) – A CFP® practitioner has met rigorous professional and ethical standards. Meet Steven Finkelstein, CFP® and Megan Gehrman, CFP®.
- Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA®) – A CFA® charterholder has a commitment to being an ethically accountable investment expert with mastery of investment analysis and portfolio management skills. Meet Amelia Gieschen, CFA.
- Strategic asset allocation with a long-term approach – Although we are constantly monitoring the markets, we don’t take change lightly. We believe that an all-inclusive and organized approach, applied consistently, will outperform chasing today’s hot stock tip.
- Independent choices– We are not tied to any single product vendor and don’t offer proprietary solutions, which allows us to choose the best-in-class products to fit your needs. With a Sterling advisory portfolio you will have access to 40,000+ mutual funds, ETFs, CDs, stocks, and bonds.
- Low-cost mutual funds – Our investment platform allows you to access to the lowest-cost mutual funds in the market that are free from hidden sales/12B-1 fees, upfront, or back-end sales charges.
- Broad resource bench –Our in-house committee is supported by a team of nine professional research managers and analysts at Cetera Investment Management who have combined experience of over 125 years.
- Tax management – Each portfolio decision we make is made with your tax situation in mind. In addition to the ongoing overall tax planning we provide, we strategically harvest losses to minimize your tax bill.
- Blend of active and passive management – We support both passive and active management where research and results show that active managers provide ongoing value. We don’t invest in “average”.
- Availability of Socially Responsible Investing – Be the change. We have the ability to provide customized socially responsible investing if financial return and social change is of importance to you. We can customize your personal financial plan to fit a strategy or philosophy.
- We welcome legacy and low basis holdings– Whether it’s a stock you own for sentimental reasons or a highly appreciated position, we can incorporate it into our risk-controlled strategies without liquidation using an in-kind transfer.
- A portfolio to fit your plan – We begin by measuring your need to take risk and compare that to your personality as an investor to design a portfolio with the highest probability of delivering your financial goals.
- Ongoing collaboration and communication – We believe that your clarity and comfort comes from an understanding of the broad ideas and themes that drive our investment strategy. We review our process at each review and ensure your accounts are on track with an up-to-date Investment Policy Statement.
This discovery meeting is our opportunity to get to know you. No pressure; simply a conversation about you and your goals. Bring any questions you have, as we want to address those first. You can also bring a list of your assets and income and your financial statements or a tax return so we can better understand you financially.
Yes. While a majority of our clients are located in Minnesota, we have relationships and are licensed throughout the country.
If you have a question that wasn’t answered here, please feel free to reach out to us and ask. We are more than happy to make the decision-making process easier for you.
Sterling Retirement Resources, Inc.
8401 Golden Valley Road, Suite 225 Golden Valley, MN 55427
Main: 763.762.3400 I Fax: 763.762.3409
Securities and advisory services offered through Registered Representatives of Cetera Advisor Networks LLC (doing insurance business in CA as CFGAN Insurance Agency), member FINRA, SIPC. Some advisory services also offered through AdvisorNet Wealth Management. Sterling Retirement Resources and Cetera Advisor Networks LLC are not affiliated.
This site is published for residents of the United States only. Financial Advisors of Cetera Advisor Networks may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdictions in which they are properly registered. Not all of the products and services referenced on this site may be available in every state and through every advisor listed. For additional information please contact the advisor(s) listed on the site, visit the Cetera Advisor Networks site at www.ceteraadvisorrnetworks.com.
Copyright © 2018 Sterling Retirement Resources, Inc.. All rights reserved.